APOPO's trained HeroRATs offer a unique and innovative approach towards solving the global problems of landmines and tuberculosis detection.
African Giant Pouched Rats are a low-tech solution in a resource-limited setting. They are a widespread indigenous species, have an exceptional sense of smell, and are lightweight - so they are not at risk of setting off landmines. They are also very calm, adaptable, sociable creatures, easy to tame and train. The long lifespan of this species (up to eight years) optimizes the return on initial training investment.
The project today...
APOPO currently employs over 200 staff for our in-country operations, and has over 300 rats in various stages of breeding, training, or implementation. In Tanzania, APOPO trains HeroRATs for landmine detection and tuberculosis screening. In Mozambique, our HeroRATs play an important role in our Mine Action team, sniffing out landmines in the Gaza Province.
APOPO's mission is to develop detection rats technology to provide solutions for global problems and inspire positive social change.
Our HeroRAT team's life-saving impact to date:
- Over 1,500 landmines found and destroyed
- More than 2.5 million square meters of mine-free land returned to the local population
- Over 44,500 beneficiaries of our mine action efforts
- Over 2,209 new TB-positive patients diagnosed
- 43% increase in TB case detection rates of partner hospitals.
By choosing to support APOPO's HeroRATs, you are helping us to:
- Saves lives and limbs by preventing landmine victims, and ensuring early identification of TB patients
- Create local employment and encourage development, while providing a cost-effective solution to global humanitarian challenges
- Return land to communities for farming, infrastructure, and to open the doors for development
- Curb the spread of TB by providing an efficient screening tool, which can benefit vast populations in poor urban areas
- Develop new applications for detection rats technology.
Donations received via Betterplace in support of this life-saving mission will assist APOPO in providing ongoing care and training for our detection HeroRATs.
This project is supported by the Maecenata Foundation, Munich/Berlin: