Our route to the summit of Mt.Kilimanjaro...
Travel day via Nairobi and Kilimanjaro Airport
- Arrival in Moshi/Tanzania, transfer to the hotel and briefing with our guides....last night in a bed for the next 8 days...
Moshi - Londorossi Gate - Mti Mkubwa Camp (2750m)
- after driving to Londorossi we´ll register at the gate. Afterwards we start our climb with our two guides, the cook and the numerous local porters through amazing rainforest to Mti Mkubwa Camp. (7km, 3 to 4 hours of walking time...)
Mti Mkubwa - Shira Plateau Camp 2 (3850m)
- leaving the rainforest behind, we´ll cross moorlands towards Shira ridge and after about 4 hours we´ll reach Shira Camp 1 for lunch. Then we´ll continue to Shira Plateau Camp 2, one of the most fantastic camps at Mt.Kilimanjaro with amazing views towards Shira and Kibo. (14km, 7 to 8 hours of walking time...)
Shira Plateau Camp 2 - Barranco Camp (3950m)
- today we will head towards Barranco Camp and as we follow the principle "walk high, sleep low", we´ll hike up to 4500m, but sleep around 4000m. We will partly surround the mighty summit of Kibo´s southern wall. Rocky desert is now the prevailing landscape with our first aim for today, Lava Tower, which will be reached after a 3 hours walk. We´ll move on, passing Giant Lobelias and man high Senecias, now entering the Barranco Valley. Now we´ll have an amazing view towards the southwestern wall of Kilimanjaro with the glaciers and the Western Breach Wall as well as towards the Barranco Wall. (10km, 6 to 7 hours of walking time...)
Barranco Camp - Karanga Valley Camp (3950m)
- today we will climb the Barranco Headwall, also known as "Breakfast Wall". A 1,5hrs long, steep ascent brings us to 4200m. From the plateau we will have a breathtaking view to the crater of Kibo. We´ll move on eastbound towards Karanga Camp, it´ll take us another 3 to 4 hours to reach it. Karanga River flows through the valley, time to fill up the bottles. The overnight in this camp is very advisable, as it helps you to acclimatize to the altitude and you´ll prevent your body from altitude sickness...the afternoon will therefore be used for relaxing or some acclimatization walks. (8km, 5 to 6 hours of walking time...)
Karanga Valley Camp - Barafu Camp (4600m)
- from now on it´s just a steep and rocky path up the mountain, just a few vegetation is left in this altitude. We´ll have breathtaking views towards Mt.Meru, Mawenzi and, of course, Kibo! Our last tented camp at high altitude will be at Barafu Camp, situated at 4600m. After dinner we will have to prepare our staff for the final push towards the summit and try to get as much rest as possible. Wake up will be before midnight to start the final ascent to Uhuru Peak, 5892m AMSL! (4km, 4 to 4 hours of walking time...)
Barafu Camp - UHURU PEAK, 5892m AMSL - Mweka Camp (2850m)
- the final push starts shortly after midnight. It´s the most demanding day of the trip, maybe of our entire life so far! It´s an endless path uphill, seems like a scree slope, still frozen at this time. We´ll reach Stella Point, 5740m at the edge of the crater around sunrise. The high altitude will take its toll and we will have to be strong to keep walking uphill! It´s still 150m of altitude to go, which will take us another 45 minutes...but the we will be rewarded with the indescribable feeling of reaching the highest peak of Africa at an altitude of 5892m (19.340ft)...but it ain´t over, until it´s over!
- now the descent starts, we´ll take Mweka trail via Barafu Camp, where we will have lunch and rest a bit, before we descent to Mweka Camp at 2850m. Now we will need time to rest, eat and sleep, it will be our last night up on the mountain! (19km, 12 to 14 hours of walking time...)
Mweka Camp - Mweka Gate (1800m) - Moshi
- after breakfast we descend through rainforest to Mweka gate, where we will say goodbye to our brave porters and being transferred by bus to our hotel in Moshi. We´ll enjoy the first shower after we started our ascent, it´ll be a BLAST!!! (10km, 3 to 4 hours of walking time...)
Travel home via Kilimanjaro Airport and Nairobi