The construction of a Community House & Training Centre in the village of Baranivka, Ukraine.
The project was started in 2010 by the group of young people willing to create a place that would serve to other people, the environment and society as a whole.
So far, 0.93 hectares of the land were purchased, volunteers have laid the foundations of the house, erected the wooden frame and put on the roof. At the same time, a bore hole has been drilled to provide drinking water, a new electricity supply and Internet access has been installed to the house.
The core team of the project consists of 5 people, while numerous volunteers and supporters have given donations and/or their time.
The project will benefit:
• The participants of training courses and meetings. To date, over 220 people from 19 countries have visited the house as its guests, trainees or volunteers. Once the facilities are complete, the numbers will increase dramatically.
• Environment of Poltava region, Ukraine and Eastern Europe through promoting eco-housing and green life style.
• The local community of Baranivka village. We already work in a close partnership with the local community, conducting training courses and community projects. So far, we have joined village events like cleaning the football stadium, celebrations of the village day, football matches, etc.
• Volunteers gain new skills and form friendships. Over 70 volunteers have helped with the construction of the house.
• The International NGOs Foundations for Freedom (www.f-4-f.org) and Initiatives of Change (www.iofc.org). The house already provides a place for F4F/IofC activities including follow up after courses. When completed, it will work as a full-scale IofC/F4F centre in Eastern Europe.
The biggest challenges for the project are:
• lack of professional knowledge and skills in some areas of construction
• time restriction: some of the construction work can be done only in certain seasons and weather conditions.
The construction is being funded solely through donations from individuals (more than 100 so far), groups of people (in Crimea, Moldova, UK and France) and internal funds from Initiatives of Change.
We need your support to complete the construction and equip the building to enable it to increase its capacity and achieve its full potential!