Virgin forests do not only grow in the amazon or on the islands of Indonesia; there are still a few in Europe left. Large, untouched forests have survived in the Romanian Carpathian mountains - a global natural heritage of invaluable ecological value.
These last paradise forests in the European Union are disappearing with alarming speed. Ruthless greed, political ignorance and large-scale corruption are endangering these European natural treasures. Time is running out. If immediate action is not taken against the massive logging, the remaining virgin forests will soon be gone, lost forever.
This is why the EuroNatur Foundation
and the Romanian environmental protection organisation, Agent Green
, have teamed up with other organisations and committed and passionate individuals to draw attention to the immediate threat to this unique natural European heritage and to fight for its protection.
The mutual #saveparadiseforests campaign aims to:
- Complete a rapid assessment of all primary forest areas in Romania
- Ensure immediate protection of these areas through their listing on Romania’s “National Catalog of Virgin Forests”
- Secure comprehensive protection of all state owned virgin forests
- Secure a logging moratorium in all privately owned virgin forests (until these forests can be permanently protected in cooperation with landowners)
- Ensure proper policing to stamp out illegal logging and illegal wood trafficking and massively improve compliance with nature conservation requirements (eg. in Natura 2000 sites)
- Secure a huge expansion in the protection status of nature zones in national parks (according to international standards as set by IUCN)
- Revolutionise forestry to a near natural state so that it works with natural processes and not against them.
We need all the support we can get.
Please get involved in this critical campaign to save Romania’s forests, share campaign information, participate in actions and events and support the work of the sponsoring organisations through a kind donation.
For the most important measures in 2018 we need at least 100,000 euros.