Change the world with your donation

Please update your browser

Together with you we want to make the world a better place, for that we need a web browser that supports current web technology. Unfortunately, your browser is rather old and can't display betterplace.org properly.

It's easy to update: Please visit browsehappy.com and choose one of the modern browsers that are showcased there.

Best from Berlin, your betterplace.org-Team

Help Promoting Socio-Economic Empowerment in India

Thiruvallur, India

Help Promoting Socio-Economic Empowerment in India

Fill 100x100 bp1498836070  mg 2306

I am seeking your help to enable my seven-months stay in Thiruvallur, India, where I will work voluntarily for the IRCDS (Integrated Rural Community Development Society), an NGO aimed at helping marginalized groups to escape from poverty.

Sophie T. from Deutsch-Indische Zusammenarbeit e. V.Write a message

I am Sophie, an 18-year old girl from Germany whose dream it is to contribute towards a more peaceful and sustainable world. After graduating from a United World College (UWC), I am now heading off to India, where I will work for an NGO aiming to improve the socio-economic situations of marginalized groups. I am seeking your help to contribute towards 25% of my program's costs. Please continue reading for more detailed information - it would mean the world to me.

In 2015, I received a scholarship by the German UWC national committe which enabled me to undergo a challenging and transformational 2-year educational experience. Besides living together with inspiring people from more than 90 nations and acquiring my International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, I became aware of my personal responsibility to contribute towards a better future. Through action and personal example I want to make a difference in the world and encourage other young people to take action as well.

Before I went to UWC, I was already passionate about development politics and have been a member of my local UNICEF committee since I was a little girl. In 2013, the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development selected me as one of 15 out of 520 young people to discuss about "the world of tomorrow", including issues like the quality of education, the access to water, and equality. I was speaking in front of German chancellor Angela Merkel, the Development Ministers Dirk Niebel and Gerd Müller, as well as the former German Presidents Horst Köhler and Joachim Gauck, amongst others, to fight for youth participation in important political processes such as the MDG-SDG process. In 2016, I finally founded my own NGO called "WorldWeWant", aiming to promote youth participation in political processes and to inform young people about the SDGs.

Being in the position to speak up in behalf of my generation, I always felt that I have been very privileged. Knowing to appreciate this privilege, I now want to get to know the life in a developing country through first-hand experience. With the hope to help maintaining an admirable NGO and to improve my own skills that will help me pursuing my passion for devlopment politics, I chose to go to India. In the city of Thiruvallur, I will work for an NGO called IRCDS (Integrated Rural Community Development Society) that empowers people of marginalized groups such as women, children, and people with disabilities.

I kindly received a scholarship from the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development which will cover 75% of my costs. The remaining 25% are covered by the DIZ, the German organization that arranged my stay in Thiruvallur and made the contact between me and the IRCDS. To help the DIZ enabling other young people to have the same opportunities as me and to make an impact in India themselves, I need your help to fundraise 1200€. For your donation I promise you to use my time in India wisely and to take as much out of this experience as possible, hoping to one day make the world a better place.

Help to spread this project