TruckSHOP is a free shop for refugees inside a truck. TruckSHOPS aim is currently to provide the people living in refugee camps all over Northern Greece with clothes, undergarments, winter accessories and shoes. Having a system so that all camps in Northern Greece are given clothing and that people are given a choice over what they wear is imperative to our mission and to maintaining human dignity. This is why we have chosen to set up this project. To be able to continue with our work we need YOUR support!
The weather in Northern Greece is getting colder every day and most of the thousands of refugees living there, are still sleeping in tents. Currently there is no organization in Greece that is focused on clothes distribution which is a very basic need that is often not met within camps to an adequate standard. Most clothing distributions that have occurred in camps have been done intermittently and without offering choice, something that can be very psychologically debilitating for a lot of people that have received aid in the past.
We are determined to keep people living in the refugee camps in Northern Greece warm and to give them a choice over what they wear
How it works:
What we do is we offer a mobile shop in a truck filled with items, so that every person can choose the proper sizes and their individual style. We hope our system of distribution will give the people living in these camps some form of normality back to their lives.
The distributions are set up as following:
- We have a registration area, where people register for the distributions.
- Besides there is a chai-waiting-area, where people who have already registered for the distribution can have a cup of chai while waiting.
- Then they can get into the shop where they can choose clothes in their size.
- All clothes are free of charge for the refugees, thanks to donations from all over Europe.
Why we need YOUR support:
1. We are currently in the process of expanding the size of our TruckSHOP in order to allow us to supply all camps that request and require clothing. This is why we need YOUR donations for improving our clothes rail system and buy eventually buy a new truck.
2. Most of the clothes we distribute are donations from all over Europe. The donations differ very much in quality and quantity, which makes it more difficult for us to provide choice for everyone. To be able to go on with our work and to keep the system as fair as possible, we have to spend money to expand our stock of clothes with the most needed items.
Thank you so much for helping us.