TruckSHOP is a free shop for refugees inside a truck. What we do is we offer a mobile shop in a truck filled with items, so that every person can choose the proper sizes and their individual style.
In the winter months TruckSHOP provided refugee camps all over Northern Greece with warm clothes. In the beginning of the year the truck brought supply to Lesvos, where the clothes are distributed in a permanent shop in Moria camp. At the same time we continued to give clothes, shoes and hygiene items from our warehouse in Thessaloniki. In the next months we are planning to distribute summer clothes and to install a ’social shop’. To be able to continue with our work we need YOUR support!
Eventhough clothing is a basic need, refugees are supplied with that insufficiently. Most clothing distributions are done intermittently and without offering choice. This is why we are determined to give people a choice over what they wear and give back a form of normality to their lives.
It is imperative to our mission to have a distribution system that is fair and dignified.
- we take enough clothes with us to restock, in order to give the same amount of choice to the first and the last person entering the shop.
- we avoid people standing in a line. With a registration system we call the people when it is their term to get into the shop.
Why we need YOUR support:
- To prepare distributions we have running costs of tape, boxes, hangers, palettes, wood and steal.
- The donations differ very much in quality and quantity, which makes it more difficult for us to provide choice for everyone. To be able to go on with our work and to keep the system as fair as possible, we have to spend money to expand our stock of clothes with the most needed items.
- we would love to send needed supply to places outside of Northern Greece. Unfortunately our budget is not enough to cover transport costs for ferry and fuel.
- the situation in Northern Greece changed in the last months. Most of the camps are shut down and people have been moved to apartments. We are planning to install a central distribution point that is reachable with public transport. To go on with this plan we especially need help to cover the rental costs.
Thank you so much for helping us.