Some three million persons were forced to leave their hometowns in Iraq. More than one million found refuge in the safer north, especially the Kurdish Region of Iraq. They run from the self-proclaimed "Islamic State", which since January makes advances in Iraq and displaced hundreds of thousands persons practically overnight when they took Mosul and Sinjar. The capacity of the Kurdish Region to provide proper shelter and assistance for all persons is overstretched.
Since summer, the aid organization Misereor is supporting us with the distribution of goods. We delivered ice and water to newly arrived internally displaced persons from Mosul, food and hygiene products to Yezidi in Duhok governorate, or kerosene to refugees in Baharka camp. We further provide medical and psychological help through mobile teams, consisting of psychologists and doctors, to displaced persons and refugees in several parts of the region.
With this fundraiser we plan to support our current activities by supplementing the following needs financially:
Since last August we organized several aid distributions at which we delivered humanitarian aid such as food, hygiene products, clothing or heating material and provided medical help. We especially sought out locations yet to be reached by aid. Our emergency aid continues this year.
Many of the persons fleeing had been exposed to grave scenes, witnessed the brutal death of loved ones, had to leave parents behind, and some women became victims of sexualized violence. The sudden loss of one’s home, the difficult life in exile and the constant sharing of gruesome stories is a great psychological burden on the victims, both adults and children. Their traumas settle. Cases of domestic violence and attacks against women and children increase. Through psychological counseling the refugees are enabled to process their experiences, find emotional release and develop a positive outlook for the future.
Here you can see our previous distributions:
9. August in Erbil: http://jiyan-foundation.org/relief-erbil.html
18. August in and around Duhok: http://www.jiyan-foundation.org/duhok-idps.html
18. October in Baharka near Erbil: http://on.fb.me/10Ij4H8
27. October in Dayrabun (near the Syrian and Turkish border): http://on.fb.me/1GFkzXG
3. November in Arbat Camp near Sulaymaniyah: http://on.fb.me/1Etkl49
8. November in Jarmo near Chamchamal: http://on.fb.me/1xcguYi
17. Dezember at Sinjar mountains: http://jiyan-foundation.org/humanitarian-aid-deliveries.html
23. December at Sinjar mountains: http://on.fb.me/17NZZb2
30. December at Sinjar mountains: http://on.fb.me/1DCkUct
2. January at Sharaf al-Din shrine in Sinjar: http://on.fb.me/1FooSI1