managed by S. Dharma Neethi (Communication)
Women’s Emancipation and Development (WED) TRUST, is a registered grassroots non-governmental organization (NGO) founded in 1992 with the aim of building a gender just society with self sustained, economically independent, politically empowered women. WED TRUST was formed by a group of feminists under the joint leadership of Ms. N. Logamani, M.A., B.Ed., and Mr. PS. Dharmaneethi, M.Sc., B.L., C.G.T., on 9th October 1992. The group targeted the Chellampatti Block under Usilampatti Taluk of Madurai District, Tamilnadu, India for intervention because of the area’s urgent need for preventing female infanticide.
WED Trust’s major activities are prevention of female infanticide, feticide and violation against women and socio-economic, cultural and political empowerment of women.
WED Trust believes in participatory approach in its entire programs. The Trust has a 5 member Board of Trustees of which four are women who meets twice a year to appraise the progress of its activities. The members take decisions collectively
WED Trust is registered under Indian Trust Act in 1992 (Reg. No 26/1992). It is registered under Foreign Contribution Regulation Act FCRA Number 075940354 dated 03-10-1998.
The Trust is also registered under Income Tax Act of India with PAN: AAATW0271B
Building up a gender just society with self sustained, economically independent and politically empowered women.
Empowering women and children in all spheres of life through education, training and intervention programs along with networking a peoples’ movement for campaigning and lobbying.
Prevention of Female Infanticide
Skill Development Education for Rural Children
Formation of Women self help groups
Gender Sensitization of men and women through trainings/ seminars / Campaign
Women Empowerment Programs
Micro-credit for economic development
Reproductive and Child Health programs
Family Counseling and Legal Assistance
Human Rights Education
Capacity building programs for local government women leaders
Networking with grass root NGOs
Aged care through formation groups, micro credit and medical camps
• WED Trust has promoted 145 women groups having the membership of more than 2500.
• Prevented more than 700 girl children from female infanticide and provided more than 50 girl children for adoption.
• Amicably solved more than 2500 family issues through counseling and legal assistance.
• More than 1500 women were supported with Rs. 1 crore for their income generation programs
• Majority of target villages got the basic amenities like link roads, street lights, health and educational facilities.
• WED Trust has popular among its community and has good relationship with the local government and public.
• WED Trust has well enough in accumulating administrative set up.
• It has positively created Gender Equity among men and women of the target area.
• Promoted self help groups for older persons, differently abled persons and supported for their economic development.
• More than 1000 boys and girls were educated on life education and more than 300 youth were guided to get self employment.
• 10 couples were supported with health facilities to have child birth.
• More than 1000 children were covered through 12 skill development education centre and made them for over all development.
• Network among 20 grass root NGOs was formed and provided capacity building training and small scale financial support.
• WED Trust is being used as resource agency by the local educational institutions, college and universities for research and rural development.
• Reducing dowry system and lavish spending in family functions is being adopted by 100 families in the project area.
• The concept of giving family property to women is spreading and found models of 250 women in the community.
• The number of volunteers to work with WED Trust has increased by finding 25 additional resource persons.
In the Guinness Book of world records by partaking in non-stop cultural performances of 57- 1/2 hours with "Thisaigal" Cultural Troupe in July 1999.
Bharathi Purashkar Award for Best Social Worker in 2004 awarded by the Baharathi Yuvak Kendra, Madurai.
WED Trust has received Best Social Work Organisation by People of Gandhi Nagar Village in 26.01.2008