Who we are
The Medizinische Flüchtlingshilfe Bochum (MFH) is a politically independent, non-religious, socio-medical human rights organization. Since it was founded in 1997, it has been committed to refugees and their health. The most important goal is to improve the living conditions of survivors of torture and other serious human rights violations. In its psychosocial center, the MFH offers interdisciplinary support services for refugees free of charge. Our working areas are:
- Medical service and medical referral for undocumented people
- Psychological counseling and psychotherapy for traumatized refugees
- Social service, focused on advice on asylum and residence law, psychosocial support for adults and unaccompanied minors
- Human rights and public relations
What has happened
As a psychosocial center, we are used to the fact that financing is a challenge: our work is dependent on project financing and donations. Over the last 23 years we have always managed to raise enough money and offer our services to our clients free of charge.
In 2020, several factors have occurred:
- Although we did not have to close our center due to the Corona-Pandemic, we had significant additional expenses for security and hygiene measures on site as well as for online counseling and online therapy in the home office.
- Our donation income has dropped sharply. The main reason for this is the pandemic-related absence of benefit events; individual donations have also declined
- A previously promised financial support has not been provided
Therefore, we are in a situation where we will no longer be able to continue our work next year without further support.
If the MFH had to close, this would leave a large gap in the care of traumatized refugees in this area.
What we are doing to prevent a similar situation
Certainly, pandemic-related costs will not be incurred to the same extent next year. We are also planning further measures to be prepared for the future:
- A support association will be founded to make the MFH financially more independent
- The MFH will be a little smaller and thus more efficient. After we have grown strongly in 2015/2016, we will concentrate more on our core competencies
Now the MFH needs your help so that we will be able to continue to provide professional support next year for those people who have experienced severe traumatic experiences and violence in their home country and on the run. People who are dependent on support to arrive in Germany.
Every donation helps us to continue our work!