In 2018, parts of the former railway station grounds were handed over to the Treblinka Museum. This provides the opportunity to create a place of commemoration. A place where those people are remembered who stood crowded in wagons, forced to wait for the trains to continue to Treblinka death camp. A site of remembrance for those people who tried to escape from the wagons and were killed right here, at Treblinka railway station.
From July 1942 to August 1943, hundreds of so-called resettlement trains reached Treblinka station on their way to the German death camp. Here, wagons were uncoupled from the trains and moved to the side track. From there, they were driven into the direction of a gravel pit and pushed further into the camp on a newly created track. The "ramp" inside the camp, where people were driven out of the wagons, could accommodate a maximum of 20 wagons.
The official name for the German death camp was: "SS-Sonderkommando Treblinka, District Warsaw". The first train reached Treblinka on 23 July 1942, overcrowded with former inhabitants of the Warsaw Ghetto. The last trains arrived on 18 and 19 August 1943 with 8,000 Jews from Białystok. The mass murder itself took place on a small area of 400 x 600 meters. On a square, the arriving Jews had to undress and were then driven through a narrow passage into the gas chambers. It took approximately 1,5 hours until people were murdered after their arrival in Treblinka. Only a small number of 600 to 1,000 Jewish inmates were kept alive by the perpetrators for a short time. They had to keep the camp running, remove the bodies from the gas chambers, bury and later burn them.
It is impossible to reconstruct how many Jews passed through Treblinka railway station before they were murdered. The number of victims of Treblinka death camp is estimated at 700,000 to 900,000.
After the war, the railway station was reconstructed. Freight and passenger trains stopped in Treblinka and continued their journey from here on. The terrible scenes which took place here between July 1942 and August 1943 left no traces. It seemed as if more than 700,000 Jews, who were forced to wait at Treblinka railway station for their wagons to be pushed into the death camp, had not existed.
In 1993, public transport at Treblinka railway station ceased. The station was still used for freight traffic until 1998, when it was finally shut down. Starting in 2004 the Treblinka station and the railway tracks were dismantled and finally the construction of a new road was started. Since 2015, a road has been running through the former Treblinka railway station. This important scene of the Holocaust was irretrievably destroyed.