Hikayati: My Story
Centre for Personal Development, Education and Recreation
What is Hikayati?
Hikayati is a state of the art centre being built in Iraq for personal development, education & recreation, aimed at empowering children to fulfil their potential.
Main Aims of the Project
To provide orphaned children with:
- Access to coaching and mentoring
- Tailored programmes and workshops to build on their confidence, self-esteem, and social skills
- Access to educational and recreational facilities, such as a library and art workshops
- An atmosphere that encourages creativity and talent
- Support in transition into adulthood
- Safeguarding mechanisms, to protect from neglect and abuse.
Programmes and Activities
- Residential camps
- Workshops and courses
- After school clubs
- Mother and child sessions
- Recreational activities
- Parenting programmes
- Located in Najaf (Al-Adala Neighbourhood)
- 1,350 square metres, over six floors
- Child-friendly design, with a books theme
- Designed in consultation with psychiatrists and child specialists
- Expected construction period: two and a half years