Together with the Ghanian NGO Firm Lifeline Ministries, Kinderhilfe Westafrika e.V. built an Orphans and Vulnerable Children Centre (OVC) in Jirapa. Here, the children whose families can no longer take care of them, get a better start into life. They get education in the nearby school while they get the care and attention they need on the centre. They learn to be self-sufficient, how to take responsibility but also to work together as a group. At the moment, there are 26 children aged 8 to 20 living here together with Mama Bibiana, who is taking care of the children.
Every year, Kinderhilfe sends two volunteers to Jirapa to take care of the children and the OVC. Apart from that, one of the two volunteers gives computer lessons in the neaby school. The two volunteers are living on the compund of the centre so they are there for the children around the clock.
In detail, the reponsibilities of the volunteers include:
- Organaising and giving out things of everyday use. Those include pens, school books, toothbrushes, etc.
- Taking care od the medical needs of the children, e.g. extending insurance and going to the hospital.
- Doing homework after school and giving extra classes.
- Playing with the children, cooking, ...
- Being there for the children, listening to them and enabling them to have a great childhood.
This project consistently needs money. For example, there are repairs to be done, new things need to be built, or the voluntary services need to be financed.