This year, we are cooperating with Madrugada Guinea Bissau. The organization is in the capital of Guinea Bissau, a small country in West Africa. On the NGO’s compound, one can find many things: a kindergarten, vegetable gardens, a bakery, a sport center, a new tailor shop and very important: a clinic. The clinic was built around 20 years ago and is an important contributor to the health sector in the capital (and in all of Guinea Bissau), since health care in the country is very bad. The services of the clinic keep on being expanded to help even more people. Together with Madrugada, we want to establish a life-saving blood donation center in the clinic this year.
Why a blood donation center?
Up to now, the clinic could only undertake small surgeries. In order to handle bigger and more complex surgeries, a blood donation and transfusion center is needed. With that, blood can be donated, tests for blood types and also for HIV, Hepatitis B and C, Syphilis and Malaria can be carried out. The „good blood“ can then be stored for the purpose of using it later in theatre.
What is needed for such a blood donation center?
We are collecting donations for starting the center. The needed material is calculated for the first 1000 blood donors.
- 100 blood donation sacs for blood transfusions (à 3.66€): 3660€
- Tests for blood type, and quick tests for HIV, Hepatitis B and C, Syphilis and Malaria: 1666€
- Instrument for fast determination of Hemoglobin (HB): 800€
- 20 packs of cuvettes for the HB determination (20 packs à 70€): 1400€
- Blood bank refrigerator (which will of course be used beyond the first 1000 blood donations): 4971€
For more information about the costs or the exact materials that will be bought, feel free to contact us at any time.