JUMUIYA WOMEN GROUP intends to establish the North Rift Dairy Goats Multiplication/Breeding centre in Eldoret town, KENYA, with the objectives of:
1. To advance the cause of the dairy goat
2. To operate a dairy goat multiplication centre
3. To promote the improvement of dairy goats thru selective breeding
4. To educate the public about the benefits of dairy goats
5. To foster and promote the exhibition of dairy goats at fairs
A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE INNOVATION
JWG intends to turn the centre into an excellent demonstration and training facility, where pure-bred dairy goats are raised and later given to poor peasant women from all the districts of North Rift.
The centre will also receive organized farmers groups of between 20 to 45 who will be given a basic introduction to the following topics: Zero-grazing of goats, Breeds of goats & Suitable fodder
APPROACHES TO BE USED
After the first year of project implementation, JWG will commence the male distribution process to all the women pre-registered. All farmers will be served based on first come, first served basis. Also, JWG will undertake to tag all of the goats in the programme to make record keeping simpler and more accurate. Also we will encourage every farmer to grow the right fodder and plant trees as a way of getting enough fodder but also improving the environment around where they come from.
The scale of the project will be:
1. 100 villages each with its own stud male
2. 5,000 farmers after 5 years
3. 3,000 crossbred females after 5 years, rising to 12,000 after 10 years
Our project involves collaboration between Ministry of Livestock. So far the District Livestock Officer has given us the green light and agreed to turn the centre into their training centre too. Specifically his office will provide us with technical support, planning, and training of key personnel; and the latter will contribute field staff to train farmers and collect data.