Providing Access to Skills and Knowledge
in the form of a multi-functional Open Tech Emergency Case
(#ASKotec) gives trainers in post-conflict and post-disaster regions an easy to use point of entrance to a range of vocational skills from basic IT, soldering, building simple devices to the handling of specialised tools. Developed together with South Sudanese open tech pioneers to best meet their needs, #ASKotec
is designed for people living in low infrastructure regions, incl. refugee settlements and remote areas where access to information and training is extremely limited.
When you donate to the #ASKotec
campaign you are helping build the kits, develop their curriculum, and foremost train young motivated people living in such transformation regions the basics of electronics and IT, small-scale solar power, up-cycling and hands-on P2P repair skills - all forms of Open Hardware Innovation. #ASKotec
= Access to Skills and Knowledge: open tech emergency case The kit is a rugged, dust-proof case
with a range of quality advanced tools, elements and materials for
- learning and practicing electronics, especially small-scale solar energy
- repairing, disassembling, building mechanical and electronic devices
- developing peer-to-peer skills, sharing knowledge to become a community trainer
Each #ASKotec contains over 50 items including
- electronics, connection hardware, solar elements
- soldering, cutting, measuring and specialised mechanical tools
- arduinos, sensors, LEDs, related modules
- manuals and user developed 'how-to' guides
- compact Linux computer with customized open source software package
- complete list at github.com/opencultureagency/ASKotec/...FINAL-list.pdf
With each kit it is possible to run hundreds of workshops in DIY electronics, solar power, up-cycling and basic computing - making it both an emergency field kit for remote regions, as well as a science & technology resource kit for schools and universities.
Each of the needs listed above represents a different aspect of the kit so you can get a complete picture of what each #ASKotec kit is capable of.
"#ASKotec provides practical hands-on approaches to everyday challenges in places with scarce resources like South Sudan."
Eva Yayi, Kobe Institute of Computing + Founder GoGirls ICT (South Sudan)
“#ASKotec is an immensely positive project in a very troubled region.”
Rob van Kranenburg, Founder IoT Council