It's been a while but today I want to share the news about ConCERT and it's child protection trainings and how the money that has been donated on betterplace.org has been used!
Brochures and info material
The funds we received helped to pay for the material we get printed and hand out. As you know, this is a very important part of what we do. We hand out well over 1,000 items each month and these cost a significant amount of our income.
Child protection workshops
In addition, the donations also helped to establish our child protection workshops whish we now run ever 2 weeks for volunteers who come to work with Cambodian children. So far almost 1,000 people have attended!
The workshops not only raise and cover child protection issues, but serve as an effective introduction to Cambodian culture. Many Cambodian staff members have also attended and found them very useful. They are very interactive and include a mixture of instructor lead activities, ice breaker sessions, group work, and whole group activities.
The training schedule consists of:
· an assessment of the volunteers’ awareness/knowledge of child protection issues
· an introduction to child protection
· who abuses children, including societal abuse
· socio-economic factors that impact on child abuse
· an overview of Cambodia that includes: recent history, particularly on issues relating to children, Western/Cambodian culture differences, the link between poverty and child abuse/human trafficking
· examining differences in attitudes to child protection across gender, culture, generations
· the different forms of child abuse and how to identify them: neglect, emotional, physical, sexual
· volunteers’ child protection duties and responsibilities
We are very proud of our workshops and incredibly thankful for your support on betterplace!
To do more we need more funding, so please consider making another donation for Cambodia and ConCERTs work.
Meera & Michael