Sustainably improving the Quality of Life by the
SOLUX Solar Light Concept
To improve substantially the quality of life at the level of the individual/family, specifically in off-grid rural areas of the developing world at rather modest cost!
The SOLUX concept uses regenerative Solar Energy and offers Support for sustainable Development and Self-Help. Solux e.V. (www.SOLUX.org) in Taufkirchen, a German NGO develops solar concepts and supports the distribution of mobile solar lanterns in developing countries.
SOLUX lanterns, the better light:
• 4 hours of environmental friendly light at night
• no additional consumption of resources (saving 35 L of kerosene per year)
• free of emissions during use (drastic reduction of CO2)
• designed for use under harsh conditions
• long lifetime (> 10 years)
• recyclable components
• de-central at the lowest level
• empowers user & strengthens self-responsibility
• universally applicable as room light & as mobile lamp
• new feature: charging mobile phones
Type of lamps:
• LED-100: the high-tech components & materials will be assembled on site (local workers + transfer of know-how).
• LED-50: when the commercial distribution of lamps as a substitute to kerosene lanterns is the main objective.
Solux light systems can be assembled/maintained with simple tools by trained personnel in the country of use. Sales are via local partners, often financed by micro credits.
2008, SOLUX was selected through a competition “lighting Africa”, initiated by the Worldbank, and uses the prize money for the project www.one-child-one-solarlight.org in Ghana.
Approximately 40,000 solar lanterns have been delivered, and more than 60 workshops have been established in developing countries so far.