WKU Health Academies are the long-term source of support for the behavioural changes induced by the Life Skills and Peer Education courses which are taught in-school. They will provide a full range of professional clinical services exclusively to adolescents.
Our first Health Academy is due to open in the grounds of Edendale Hospital, near Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa in February 2009. Africaid has partnered with the local KwaZulu Natal Department of Health, DOH to provide adolescent specific services. The local DOH will meet on-going running costs and staff costs.
Services will include:
• One-to-one & couple counselling
• Treatment & management of sexually transmitted diseases
• Rape counselling and referral for trauma
• Peer Education
• Pregnancy testing and parenting counselling for young teenage mothers
• Psychosocial support groups for HIV positive youth
• Recreational games and internet access to increase youth attendance whilst providing essential academic stimulus