The Lapalala Wilderness School (LWS), founded by Clive Walker in 1985, has gained international recognition for its contribution it has made to enriching the lives of thousands of children through a greater knowledge and understanding of nature, wildlife and cultural heritage. Learners visiting the 36 000 ha malaria-free reserve in the Waterberg Mountains are exposed to one of the greatest outdoor classrooms in the world. With 90km of river frontage, a rich diversity of fauna and flora and a well established population of black and white rhino, it is unrivalled as an a site for environmental education.
Lapalala Wilderness School is a registered section 21 company, thus we are a non-profit organization that actively engages in activities of public interest. LWS is also a registered public benefits organization.
Annually, about 3500 learners visit Lapalala Wilderness School. 70% of these learners are black children from disadvantaged community schools sourced from our immediate communities. These schools are fully subsidized by Lapalala Wilderness School, through fee-paying groups and donations. The remaining 30% forms our fee-paying component, comprising of Gauteng and Limpopo Schools, tertiary groups and groups from organizations such as LoveLife and Outward Bound South Africa.
The community outreach programme is an important priority for the Lapalala Wilderness School. One of our strong focuses is support of the Eco-schools programme (a programme that encourages whole school improvement through environmental learning). Lapalala Wilderness supports 11 local community schools in the programme, many of whom have been in the programme for two or more years.